To use Active Directory (AD) within a Paperspace environment, you have the option to integrate with an existing domain (your office or third-party site) or host a new AD domain on Paperspace. This article will cover the latter.
To host an AD domain with Paperspace, you will create a new Paperspace machine, add the domain role and complete the domain configuration. Once the setup is complete, you will submit the AD integration form within the console to complete the setup.
- A Paperspace Private Network
- Knowledge of administering an AD domain
Create the domain controller machine
- Choose an OS (Server 2008 R2 or Server 2016)
- Use a Standard GPU instance (Air, Standard, Advanced, or Pro).
- Launch the machine in your Private Network
%WINDIR%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /quiet /generalize /reboot /oobe
Warning: You will lose access to your VM after you run Sysprep -- please open a ticket and we will complete the Sysprep step for you.
Add the Active Directory Domain Services Role
- Add the Role from the Windows Server Manager utility
Complete the Active Directory domain setup
After the AD Domain Services Role has been added, Complete the Active Directory
- The machine will restart after the domain setup is complete
Reset the Administrator user password
- Open Active Directory Users and Computers from the Windows Server Manager
- Right-click on the Administrator user and click Reset Password
- Enter a new password
- Before hitting OK, make sure "User must change password at next logon" is deselected
- Right-click on Administrator user and click Properties > Account
- Check Password never expires
Submit the AD form from the Paperspace console
- Complete the AD integration by submitting the AD form from the console
- Select "No, let's create a new AD Network"
- Add your FQDN as you specified during the AD domain creation
- Add the Administrator password that you set in the previous step
Wait for confirmation
- You will be notified by Paperspace once your domain integration is complete